Every product is independently reviewed and selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
A Pit Boss grill is a prized possession for barbecue enthusiasts, but encountering an issue where the auger won’t stop running can be alarming.
In this comprehensive guide, I will explore the potential causes behind this problem, the associated risks, and the steps you can take to address it, ensuring both safety and optimal grill performance.
Why My Pit Boss Auger Won’t Stop Running?
It can be frustrating when your Pit Boss Auger won’t stop running, especially when you’re trying to maintain precise temperature control while grilling or smoking your favorite meats.
Several factors can contribute to this issue, ranging from faulty components to programming errors.
In this section, I will explore the potential reasons why your Pit Boss Auger won’t stop running and provide some troubleshooting tips to help you resolve the issue.
1. Faulty Temperature Probe
If your Pit Boss Auger seems to run endlessly without reaching the desired temperature, a faulty temperature probe could be the culprit.
The temperature probe is responsible for sensing the current temperature inside your grill or smoker and sending the information to the control board.
If the probe is malfunctioning, it may send incorrect readings, causing the auger to continue running. To troubleshoot this issue, try calibrating or replacing the temperature probe.
2. Stuck Auger Motor
A stuck auger motor can also prevent your Pit Boss Auger from stopping. Over time, the auger motor may become jammed due to debris, grease buildup, or mechanical issues.
This can disrupt the normal operation of the auger system and keep it running even when it’s not supposed to.
To fix this problem, carefully inspect the auger motor for any obstructions and clean or lubricate it as necessary. If the motor is damaged, it may need to be replaced.
- Fits ALL Traegers that are AC
- Best original motor replacement.
- Long life spand.
- 2 RPM, Durable replacement barbecue Auger Motor
3. Electrical Issues
Electrical problems can interfere with the proper functioning of your Pit Boss Auger, causing it to run continuously.
Check the electrical connections and wiring for any damage, loose connections, or short circuits.
Faulty wiring or a poor connection can disrupt the signals sent between the control board and the auger motor, leading to constant operation.
If you identify any electrical issues, it’s crucial to repair or replace the affected components to restore normal functionality.
4. Control Board Or Sensor Failure
A malfunctioning control board or sensor can also contribute to the auger not stopping. If the control board fails to receive accurate temperature readings from the sensors, it may continue to signal the auger motor to run.
Inspect the control board and sensors for any signs of damage, corrosion, or loose connections.
If necessary, replace the faulty components to ensure reliable temperature control and normal operation of your Pit Boss Auger.
5. Stuck Switch Or Relay
In some cases, a stuck switch or relay can cause the auger to keep running even when it should stop.
These components are responsible for controlling the operation of the auger motor based on the input received from the control board.
If a switch or relay gets stuck in the “on” position, it will continue to provide power to the auger motor, resulting in continuous operation.
Inspect these components and ensure they are functioning correctly. If needed, repair or replace any faulty switches or relays.
6. Programming Or Firmware Error
Programming or firmware errors can cause your Pit Boss Auger to behave unexpectedly, including running continuously.
If the programming code or firmware within the control board is corrupted or contains errors, it can disrupt the auger’s proper functioning.
Consider resetting the programming or updating the firmware to eliminate any software-related issues.
Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for performing these tasks and ensure you have the correct firmware version for your specific model.
7. Mechanical Issues
Lastly, mechanical problems with the auger mechanism itself can lead to the continuous running of your Pit Boss Auger.
Inspect the auger and its associated parts for any signs of damage, misalignment, or excessive wear. Ensure that the auger is properly seated and rotates smoothly without any obstructions.
If you identify any mechanical issues, make the necessary repairs or replacements to restore proper functionality.
How To Fix Pit Boss Auger That Won’t Stop Running: Troubleshooting Steps
If your Pit Boss Auger won’t stop running, it can be a frustrating experience. The continuous operation of the auger can lead to problems with temperature control and potentially ruin your grilling or smoking session.
Fortunately, there are some troubleshooting steps you can take to resolve this issue and get your Pit Boss back in action.
Check The Temperature Probe
The first step in troubleshooting a Pit Boss Auger that won’t stop running is to check the temperature probe.
The temperature probe is responsible for providing accurate temperature readings to the control board.
If the probe is faulty or damaged, it may continuously send signals to the auger motor, causing it to run endlessly.
To check the temperature probe, follow these steps:
- Disconnect the Pit Boss from the power source.
- Locate the temperature probe, which is usually near the firebox.
- Inspect the probe for any signs of damage, such as frayed wires or loose connections.
- If the probe appears to be damaged, replace it with a new one from the manufacturer or authorized dealer.
Inspect And Lubricate The Auger Motor
If the temperature probe is functioning properly, the next step is to inspect and lubricate the auger motor.
Over time, the auger motor can accumulate dirt, debris, or even rust, which can cause it to run continuously.
To inspect and lubricate the auger motor, follow these steps:
- Disconnect the Pit Boss from the power source.
- Remove the hopper and access the auger motor.
- Inspect the motor for any signs of dirt, debris, or rust.
- Clean the motor using a soft brush or cloth to remove any accumulated dirt or debris.
- Apply a small amount of food-grade lubricant to the motor shaft to ensure smooth operation.
Verify Electrical Connections
If the temperature probe and auger motor are in good condition, the issue may lie with the electrical connections.
Loose or faulty connections can disrupt the communication between the control board and the auger motor, causing it to run continuously.
To verify the electrical connections, follow these steps:
- Disconnect the Pit Boss from the power source.
- Inspect all electrical connections, including those between the control board, temperature probe, and auger motor.
- Tighten any loose connections and ensure they are securely in place.
- If any connections appear damaged or worn, replace them with new ones from the manufacturer or authorized dealer.
Reset The Control Board
If all else fails, resetting the control board can often resolve issues with a Pit Boss Auger that won’t stop running.
This process allows the control board to recalibrate and refresh its settings, potentially resolving any software or firmware glitches.
To reset the control board, follow these steps:
- Disconnect the Pit Boss from the power source.
- Locate the control board, which is usually near the hopper or control panel.
- Press and hold the reset button on the control board for 10-15 seconds.
- Release the reset button and wait for the control board to reboot.
- Reconnect the Pit Boss to the power source and test if the auger motor now stops running when desired.
How To Prevent This Issue
When it comes to your Pit Boss grill, it’s important to take preventive measures to keep it functioning smoothly and efficiently.
One common issue that grill owners face is a auger that won’t stop running, regardless of the grill’s settings. To avoid this frustrating problem, there are a few key preventive measures you can take.
I will outline two main areas to focus on: regular maintenance and proper storage.
Regular maintenance is crucial for ensuring that your Pit Boss auger runs smoothly.
By following these simple steps, you can minimize the risk of your auger becoming jammed or malfunctioning:
- Clean the auger regularly: Use a grill brush to remove any built-up debris or ash from the auger. This will prevent it from clogging and causing the auger motor to work harder than necessary.
- Lubricate the auger: Apply a food-grade lubricant to the auger shaft, bearings, and any moving parts. This will reduce friction and help the auger operate smoothly.
- Check for wear and tear: Inspect the auger for any signs of damage, such as bent or broken parts. If you notice any issues, replace the damaged parts promptly to prevent further problems.
Proper storage is another important factor in preventing your Pit Boss auger from running constantly.
Follow these guidelines to ensure your grill is stored in the best possible condition:
- Clean the grill before storing: Before putting your grill away, make sure to clean it thoroughly. Remove any leftover food, grease, or ash to prevent buildup that could cause issues with the auger.
- Protect the auger from moisture: Moisture can cause rust and damage to the auger. Store your grill in a dry, covered area to protect it from rain, snow, or excessive humidity.
- Secure the auger: When storing your grill, make sure the auger is securely in place. If it becomes loose during transportation or storage, it can cause the auger motor to run continuously.
By following these preventive measures of regular maintenance and proper storage, you can significantly reduce the chances of experiencing a Pit Boss auger that won’t stop running.
Taking the time to maintain and store your grill properly will ensure that you can continue to enjoy delicious grilled meals without any unnecessary hassle or frustration.
What Are The Alternative Solutions for Auger Motor?
If you find that your Pit Boss auger won’t stop running, don’t panic. There are a few alternative solutions you can try before calling customer support or attempting any complicated repairs.
Below, I will discuss two potential solutions to this issue, including how to manually feed pellets and temporarily shutdown the auger.
Use Manual Pellet Feeding
If your Pit Boss auger won’t stop running, one possible solution is to manually feed the pellets into the grill.
This can be done by following these steps:
- First, ensure that the grill is turned off and completely cooled down before attempting any manual pellet feeding.
- Open the hopper lid and remove any excess pellets that might be blocking the auger.
- Take a handful of pellets and slowly feed them into the auger shaft. Be sure not to overload the auger to avoid any potential jams.
- Once you have fed enough pellets, close the hopper lid and turn on the grill.
Note: Manual pellet feeding should only be used as a temporary solution and not as a long-term fix. If you find that you need to manually feed pellets frequently, it is recommended to contact customer support for further assistance.
Temporary Auger Shutdown
If your Pit Boss auger won’t stop running and manual pellet feeding doesn’t resolve the issue, you can try temporarily shutting down the auger.
- Again, make sure the grill is turned off and cooled down.
- Locate the auger motor switch, usually located on the back of the grill.
- Switch the auger motor switch to the “off” position. This will stop the auger from running.
- Wait for a few minutes before switching the auger motor switch back to the “on” position.
- Turn on the grill and see if the issue is resolved.
The temporary auger shutdown should help in resetting the system and resolving any temporary glitches.
However, if the problem persists, it is recommended to contact customer support for further assistance.
Auger Replacement Considerations
One of the common issues you may encounter with your Pit Boss grill is a continuously running auger. When your auger won’t stop running, it can be frustrating and can affect the quality of your grilling experience.
In such cases, you might need to consider replacing the auger. Here are a few crucial aspects to consider when it comes to auger replacement:
Before you dive into the process of replacing your auger, it’s important to ensure that the necessary parts are readily available.
Check with your local grill supply stores or search online for genuine Pit Boss auger replacements.
Make sure you obtain the correct model number and size to ensure compatibility with your grill.
The installation process for replacing your auger will vary depending on your specific Pit Boss grill model.
It’s recommended to consult the owner’s manual or search for online resources that provide step-by-step instructions.
If you are not comfortable with DIY projects, consider reaching out to a professional for assistance.
Remember to follow all safety precautions and disconnect your grill from the power source before starting the replacement process.
When planning for an auger replacement, it’s crucial to consider the associated costs.
While the cost of a new auger may vary depending on the grill model and where you purchase it, the overall expense should be considered as part of your budget.
Additionally, keep in mind the potential costs associated with professional installation if you decide to seek expert help.
By considering these aspects, you can make an informed decision when it comes to replacing the auger on your Pit Boss grill.
Remember, it’s always recommended to follow the manufacturer’s guidelines and seek professional assistance if needed.
With the right parts, appropriate installation process, and budgeting, you can get your grill back up and running smoothly and enjoy your grilling adventures once again.
Contacting Customer Support
If you’re facing the frustrating issue of your Pit Boss auger not stopping, reaching out to Pit Boss customer support is your best course of action.
Their knowledgeable and friendly team is dedicated to providing prompt assistance to ensure your grilling experience gets back on track.
Gather Necessary Information
Before contacting customer support, it’s important to gather some necessary information to help expedite the troubleshooting process.
Having these details ready will allow the customer support representative to understand your issue better and provide targeted solutions.
Here’s what you should gather:
- The model number of your Pit Boss grill
- The serial number of your grill
- A description of the problem you’re experiencing
- Any specific error messages displayed, if applicable
- Information about any recent modifications or maintenance performed on the grill
Get In Touch
Once you have gathered the necessary information, it’s time to get in touch with Pit Boss customer support. There are a few ways you can reach them:
- Phone: You can give them a call at [customer support phone number]. This is often the quickest way to get assistance, especially if you prefer direct communication.
- Email: If you would rather communicate in writing or need to attach any supporting documents or photos, you can send an email to [customer support email]. Make sure to include all the necessary information listed above in your email.
- Online Chat: Some manufacturers offer online chat support on their website. If Pit Boss provides this option, you can access it on their support page and chat with a representative in real-time.
Regardless of the method you choose, remember to be clear and concise when explaining your issue.
By providing accurate information and effectively communicating the problem, you increase the chances of receiving a swift and helpful response from the customer support team.
Is It Safe To Continue Using A Pit Boss Auger That Won’t Stop Running?
Operating a Pit Boss auger that won’t stop running is not recommended. Continuing to use a Pit Boss grill when the auger won’t stop running can pose several risks, and it’s generally not safe to do so. Here’s why:
Continuous operation of the auger can lead to an overabundance of pellets in the firepot. If the grill continues to feed pellets without stopping, it can cause an excessive build-up of pellets, potentially leading to a fire hazard.
Constant operation of the auger can cause the grill to reach higher temperatures than intended. This can lead to overheating, damaging internal components, and potentially compromising the grill’s safety features.
Component Wear and Tear:
The continuous running of the auger can put undue stress on the motor, gears, and other components, leading to premature wear and potential damage to the auger system.
If the issue is related to an electrical malfunction, such as a short circuit, it could pose risks of electrical hazards or damage to the grill’s electrical system.
Inaccurate Temperature Control:
If the auger keeps feeding pellets, it can affect temperature control, leading to inaccurate temperature readings and potentially ruining the food being cooked.
Given these potential risks, it’s advisable to immediately stop using the grill if you’re experiencing issues with the auger not stopping. Turn off the grill, unplug it from the power source, and refrain from using it until the issue is identified and resolved.
It’s crucial to troubleshoot and address the problem promptly to prevent any safety hazards, potential damage to the grill, or compromising the quality of your cooking.
Contact Pit Boss customer support or a qualified technician to diagnose and fix the issue before using the grill again to ensure safe and proper operation.
Encountering a situation where the Pit Boss auger won’t stop running demands immediate attention to prevent safety risks and ensure the grill’s proper functionality. By understanding the potential causes and risks associated with this issue, you’re empowered to take necessary steps, prioritize safety, and swiftly address the problem to resume safe and enjoyable grilling experiences.